Transformation Strategy - Japan
Developed a Transformation Strategy for a Finance & Accounting Division of a listed company in Japan.
The goal was to change the Division from a 1990's style Accounting Team (labor intensive, low automation, internally focused group) to a customer centric, low cost, value add, highly automated Finance Division.
Transformation Strategy Approach: 2011
1. Facilitated Executive Workshops (Vision, Challenges, Strengths, Opportunities, Strategic Options)
2. Identified and leveraged relevant 'best practices in Finance'.
3. Established and lead a working team to develop the 'Case for Change'.
4. Socialized/refined the Transformation Strategy with Leadership
5. Developed the detailed Transformation Journey (Implementation Plan)
Key elements of the Transformation Plan: 2011 - 2016
1. Detailed documentation of the "as is" (end-to-end finance/accounting processes).
2. Centralized accounting processing undertaken in other divisions into Finance.
3. Created a Shared Services Center.
4. Business Process Outsourcing (selected and on-boarded a BPO Partner)
5. Finance Systems Replacement (selected and implemented Oracle Financials and Hyperion)
6. Significant Organizational Changes (team structures, roles & responsibilities, skill sets)
7. Significant Policy Changes (more empowerment, clearer accountabilities etc.)
8. Significant Cultural Change (a Chinese BPO partner, 'outward' thinking team behaviors).
The Transformation commenced in 2011 and was completed in 2016. The processes, system and team culture continue to mature over time.